Monday, September 10, 2012

Guest Post: First Day of School Sign

Hello, friends--I'd like you to give a BIG welcome to my blogger friend, Kelly from her blog Cobwebs, Cupcakes, and Crayons. Kelly, has put together an amazing post and is sharing it with us! Before we dig in to her fabulous project let's get to know her a little better. 

Here's a bit about her: 

In my former life I was a professional organizer, bringing order to other people’s homes. Now as a stay-at-home mama, spending my days with Annabelle, the little love of my life, I’m constantly trying to keep my own home from reaching Crazytown. Armed with glue dots, sippy cups, and my label maker, I am searching for order in a mommy’s world…one craft, one project, one little girl’s giggle, at a time.


Now, let's get started!

---

It’s that time again.  Back to school...

For some mamas, this year means dropping their little ones off at school for the first time.  Waving at the departing bus, as they fight back their own tears.  For other mamas, this year brings the long drive home after leaving their all grown-up little ones at college.  That seems like ages away to me and yet I still get all teary just thinking about it…

For me, this September brings a first, as Annabelle will be starting school.  She’s only going a few mornings a week for a couple of hours and yet the pit in my stomach gets more and more hollow as I count down the days.   I tell myself that she will love it.  That it’s only a few hours.  That she is, literally, around the corner if I need to rush there and get her.  That it is important for her to do something without me.  That she will adjust and love being “on her own”, making new friends and learning new activities.  All that good stuff, but still, well, you mamas that are reading this…you KNOW.

I wanted to make a little something to mark this big step.  I decided a little “First Day Of School” sign that we could take her picture with every year would be wonderful.  I made it in a frame so I could use the glass as a dry erase board, and personalize the sign every year with her age, the date, her grade, etc.

It was a super easy craft.  First I got a nice big frame.  (It was actually one I already had that I wasn’t using.)



Then, I took two pretty pieces of scrapbook paper and cut them down to fit the frame.  Using stencils, I wrote out the words “First Day Of School”, first in pencil….






…and then I traced and colored them in with a black sharpie.




Since I needed two pieces of scrapbook paper to fill the frame, I taped two pieces of paper together...






and then taped a piece of blue ribbon across.  I liked that the ribbon hide the seam, and that it divided up the sign, leaving the bottom portion open for writing.  Then I reassembled the frame.

Here’s little Annabelle’s “First Day Of School” sign…






And this is what it looks like with a little personalization, using a dry erase marker.




I have to admit, I’m in Love with this little sign.  Is it making the pit in my stomach go away?  No.  But it is making me smile through slightly teary eyes.  I’ll be sure to share Annabelle’s First Day Of School picture with you guys once we take it.

So, do you have any First Day Of School traditions?


Thank you so much for sharing, Kelly! I love this idea and can think of so many variations and possibilities! LOVE that you framed it which makes changing the details so easy just by writing on the glass! 

P.S. If you liked this post, you might also like Month To Month, Moment To Moment and Remember When... 


If you'd like to follow Kelly she can be found at the following links:

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing all of the variations of this on Pinterest! I can't wait to be able to do it for my girls! I wish I would have known about this idea through pregnancy also..!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Team Ibrahim | Blog Design by Lilipop Designs