Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What's for Dessert?

Today's Pinterest Project was inspired by Fabulous You and my husband.  Since our homemade ice cream from Friday has almost disappeared I proactively picked a project that would answer his inevitable after dinner question of "What's for dessert?".

I've never met someone that didn't love Texas Sheet Cake.  Probably because, I'm not sure I could associate with someone who didn't love it.  My Grandma can make it from memory and she always seems to have the ingredients on hand.  This cake has been a family favorite for birthdays, holidays, BBQs, and often, for no reason at all.  If you've never had Texas Sheet Cake or aren't sure if you have--it's the moist and chocolatey cake with a fudge like layer of frosting.  And yes, it has enough butter to make Paula Deen giddy.  Fabulous You adjusted the traditional sheet cake recipe into 24 cupcakes.  And who doesn't love a cupcake?


I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand except for buttermilk.  I knew there was an easy substitute but couldn't remember the ratios so I googled 'buttermilk substitute' and found it.  If you find yourself buttermilk-less too, just pour 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice into a measuring cup and then pour milk until you reach the 1 cup line and let it sit for 5 minutes.  Once I had the buttermilk ready I mixed the cupcakes per the recipe on Fabulous You.



The cupcakes turned out pretty well and they were a perfect dessert with a cold glass of moo-juice.  I would say that just pouring the batter into a sheet pan and then pouring on the frosting is much easier than doing it 24 times.  However, the cupcakes are much better for portion control.  It's easier to control myself and eat one cupcake than the alternative..."I cut myself a tiny piece of the sheet cake then some how I ate the entire North 40."  I'm not saying that's ever happened to me...okay, it's happened.  Stop judging me!

So, whether you choose a sheet cake or cupcakes, pick one and make this recipe today.  You probably have the ingredients on hand and your family will love you for it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Team Ibrahim | Blog Design by Lilipop Designs